Summer Recipes and Cooling Food for Babies
- Nicolas Belisle
What do you cook for your baby when the weather is hot? Of course, you want to minimize as much as you can oven utilization. Moreover, you want to take advantage of local and seasonal fruits and vegetable as much as possible. Finally, you want the food to be tasty and healthy!
Here’s a list of 5 recipes that you can cook for your baby and the whole family for hot summer days
Basil Hummus with Lime
This is a great recipe to eat with rice and salad. So here is the recipe we suggest for this:
- Use a cup of dried chickpeas or more because you can batch this process and freeze the rest of cooked chickpeas.
- Soak your chickpeas first for at least an hour. You want them to be soft and more digestible (avoid intestinal gas for you and especially baby!!!). You can soak them overnight or you can soak them until they sprout. If they sprout, the nutritional value will improve and it will obviously take much more time. Cover them with a lot of water because the size of soaked chickpeas will double!
- Boil your chickpeas for 5 minutes.
- Let them in hot water for an hour.
- When they are at room temperature, blend them with a blender.
- Add fresh basil. You decide the quantity and it depends on the quantity of chickpeas you took for your hummus recipe.
- Add 2 Tbsp of lime juice pressed from a fresh lime or 3 Tbsp if you want to avoid using oil.
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil (optional) or more lime juice.
- Add ¾ tsp of sea salt
Mix the hummus with a spoon. We highly suggest that your baby can see or even help if old enough so that his or her interest in food and his or her confidence in the kitchen will develop early!
Avocado & Watermelon Salad
Use avocadoes and cut them in small pieces. Use a watermelon and cut it in small pieces. Mix both. You can add small pieces of feta cheese.
Eating watermelon in its own is a great summer experience for baby!
Local Berries Sorbet
Use local berries like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blue berries, and freeze them. You can add a stevia leave as a natural sweetener. Then, blend them in a blender. A good add-on to this is to add coconut cream on the top of it.
Be careful with stevia, us it lightly or else, it will taste like a mountain of sugar.
Wild Rose Iced Tea
Pick wild roses ideally so that you are sure that they are free from pesticides. Then, dry them with a dehydrator. Then, infuse them with water. You can add stevia as a natural sweetener. Then, remove the roses and put tea in the refrigerator or blend it with ice.
Again, this is a great activity to do with your baby and be careful with rose thorns! If you want to avoid having a mess and you want this iced tea to stay fresh with your summer activities, you can use this thermos bottle for your baby.
Avocado chocolate mousse
This recipe requires 2 avocadoes and a Tbsp of cocoa. You add a tps of maple syrup as a natural sweetener and you blend all the ingredients. It will give a smooth chocolate mousse with a good amount of healthy fat and the amount of sugar will be perfect for the teste. Of course, you can adjust this recipe if you want it to be more sugary with more maple syrup.